Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bill's hiking like he was 15 again





We decided to check out Phra Nang Beach and see if we could find the view point and lagoon.  As we headed out we noticed a bunch of rock climbers along the face of the cliff.  So we walked over to take a look.  Some of them were just learning and others were scaling huge rock faces.  They were all part of a climbing class.  It was very fascinating to watch them maneuver their bodies up the face of the rock.  After about an hour we headed over to the west side to check out the beach.  Along the path there was huge caverns, stalagmites, caves and monkeys and then we came through an opening onto a fabulous white beach surrounded by rock faces.  It was early so there were not too many people there yet.  We found a lovely spot in the shade on the sand and spent the next 4 hours people watching.  Around noon we decided to walk down the beach as we had seen people coming back with food and drinks.  As we got down the beach we realized the food vendors were set up in their long boats selling all kinds of food and drink.  We had an iced coffee and mango and sticky rice.  It was great, right on the beach.


 The tide was coming in and so were the the tour boats so the beach was getting smaller and smaller which meant it was getting rather crowded so we decided to pack up and see if we could find the path to the look out point.  It was described as a steep incline to the right.  OMG, they were not kidding.  When we had passed in on the way in I had seen the danger slippery when wet sign and thought it was a notice to keep people off.  When we returned this ended up being the path we were looking for.  There was a little hut with  benches opposite the steep incline.  We stopped and chatted with a group of three girls that were covered from head to toe in mud.  They had just returned from the lagoon.  I thought there is no way we are doing this so started to walk away.  Then Bill insisted that we give it a go, we changed our footwear and took some photos.  By this time there were people descending down the cliff.  Once they got down they were describing what is was like.  Well I guess this was pay back for the Zip lining as Bill was already on his way  thinking if these girls can do it, so can we.  I thought OMG, he is seriously going to do this.  As I listened and looked I realized that you had to climb a rock face with only a rope and your nerves to get you there.  Well you guessed it we were going.

Going up wasn’t too bad as long as you had a death grip on the rope and used it to haul your ass from one foot hold to another in between huge roots and jagged rocks.  We climbed and climbed and climbed until I was completely soaked in sweat and covered in red dirt.  Once we reached the top we followed a narrow path for about 10 minutes out to a fantastic view point over looking East and West Railay.  It was incredible.  And the next thing I knew my crazy husband had decided to go to the lagoon.  This meant repelling down three major drops into a sea cavern.  I thought he had lost his mind.  But off we went.  We made it down the first one and past this massive tree into the fist level of the cavern.  As we approached the second descent we stopped to chat with a few of the YOUNG people waiting with us.  They had just come up.  They said the next drop was very steep and tricky but it was worth it.  I seriously had my doubts.  We had been following this hippy type couple who were climbing in bare feet at a pace that far exceeded ours and they were just ahead waiting to go down.  Up to this point these two appeared to have no fear.  However when they reached the top of the second drop it took them quite a while to start and then they just seem to drop into thin air.  We cautiously peered over the edge and watched the guy from Australia go down hanging from the rope.  Well that was enough for me, I thought I might be able to make it down but there was a huge chance I may not be able to haul my ass back out.  Alex’s little voice kept popping into my head as the last thing she said to me was be careful there are no hospitals in Railay.  It was at this point I called it quits and told Bill he could take a picture of the lagoon from where we were I was NOT going down any further.

   Thank God he agreed and we headed back up to the top of the cavern and then back down the rock face.  We made it back safely, drenched in sweat and dirt, but glad we made the effort.  It was an adventure, full of adrenaline, hard work stories to tell your kids about.  Hopefully the pictures turn out.  Afterwards we had to go back to the beach to rinse off.  I told that crazy husband of mine I was having two cold beer when we got back.  He told me I could have as many as I liked.  On our way back we booked a couple of tours, a Canoeing trip through the mangroves and caves and then a ½ day to the natural hot spring and pool.  Never a dull moment, there is so much to see and do.  I guess I will rest when I get home.  Good thing we are doing this before we are 50 and our bodies are still able. After relaxing for a bit, Bill starts telling me that we are going back on our last day to try the lagoon again. My comment, drop freaking dead!     

No comments:

Post a Comment