

Well we decided that we had had enough sitting on the beach and found out that there was a view point we could hike to. It was supposed to be about 1 hour. So after breakfast we headed up the mountain to the top of the island. We were basically hiking up a very tiny rutted dirt road. The only signs were in Thai but after one wrong turn and a couple of queries we were on track. We were basically in the jungle. There were a few huts where people were living, roosters, one ugly bug (that I saw) a very interesting fresh water reservoir and what appeared to be a Thai version of condos. As we reached the top we ran into two wild monkeys. The male was on the road eating something. We walked right past him but as we approached he started to growl. I had read that you never stare down a monkey as they get aggressive so I told Bill not to look at him and we simply walked by. Hopefully my photo turns out. As we left the main road (ha ha) and onto a small dirt path we ran into another couple who told us we just had to follow the path for about 20 min. Off we went and as we neared the top we came to “Cowboy Hill” a small stand offering water, beer and snacks. We opted for water. By this point there were a few English signs pointing us to the top. Once we got there we had a spectacular view of both Ko Phi Phi’s main beaches. There was also a small guest house (not that I would stay there) and water. We purchased water and spoke with another couple who were on there way to find Rotay beach. So we thought what the hell a beach sounded good. So off we went following the signs and the directions the fellow at the top had given us. It started out not bad but next time I eves drop I should pay more attention to the people. They were serious hikers in way better shape than we were. I lost them within about 50ft and the path started to descend 50 ft per second as Bill put it. It was about as wide as my body, full of roots, rocks and other debris. I wasn’t about to go tumbling downward and I was hesitant about what to grab onto not knowing what I would be touching. At one point I went to grab a tree trunk and it was like a cactus. We eventually made it down to a beautiful beach. Had a swim and sat down for a nice cold beer. I was very thankful my husband had remembered to put some cash into his pocket before we headed out. Moral of the day never leave without a bunch of cash. You never know where you will end up. This allowed us to catch a longboat back to our beach and not have to climb back up the descent we had come down. I love you Honey! The couple we were following hiked back up later in the afternoon. We spent a lazy couple of hours on a backpackers beach, which made me realize, my backpack works great but I still like some luxury. I was happy to get back to my villa later that day. We tried to stay up and watch the fire throwers but by about 10:30 we were done. We had booked a longboat for a 3 hour tour of Phi Phi Lay and had to be ready to go by 8:30 am.
No comments:
Post a Comment